Capture some of tropical North Queensland’s waterfalls and rainforest areas with this nature-based photography tour. Starting early, we will head up to the Atherton Tablelands to explore some of the region’s iconic falls, as well as some less visited, but equally scenic waterfalls and rainforest areas. After our morning exploration, we’ll stop at a local cafe where you can purchase a bite to eat and grab a coffee. There, we’ll sit down for a debrief, discuss post-production techniques and do a review of our photos from the morning.
With a duration of approx. 7-8 hours, the Waterfalls Tour allows you to capture waterfall images just like the postcards, with guidance from a professional photographer. It caters for all levels of photographer, and whilst the tour is designed with Digital SLR users in mind, other types of cameras are more than welcome.
Waterfalls Tour Pricing
One person $350
Two or more people $275 per person
Note* Prices are for departure from Cairns and northern beaches
(price for tour departing Port Douglas: add $50 per tour)
The Waterfalls Tour takes in the waterfalls and rainforest of the Atherton Tablelands, which is 1 – 1.5 hr drive from Cairns. We can also offer an option that takes in areas closer to Cairns (1/2 drive from the Cairns city centre) if you prefer to spend more time shooting and less time travelling. To get a feel for the region, you can check out the Locations section. Please note that certain locations are best photographed at certain times of day (or in certain weather conditions), and this will be taken into account when we put together your itinerary. Please also note that possible locations may vary depending on whether you are taking the tour departing Cairns or Port Douglas.
The tour has a focus on helping improve your landscape and nature photography skills and knowledge. Whether you know a little or a lot, we will happily assist you in:
• Camera set up and the best settings for waterfalls photography
• Using manual exposure for long exposure shooting
• The use of circular polarizer and neutral density filters
• Using movement and motion blur
• Compositional techniques, using different lenses and incorporating people in your shots
• Creative tips and techniques for waterfall & rainforest photography
– Pick-up and drop-off at your accommodation
– A tailored itinerary of 3-4 locations, dependent on proximity, weather and shooting conditions.
– Personalised tuition, tips & advice from a professional photographer
Tour times and what to bring
• The tour times very much depend on your chosen itinerary and the time of year. This will be confirmed at the time of booking.
• Bring your camera equipment: camera, lenses, filters & sturdy tripod (we do have tripods to borrow) and a backpack or camera bag.
• A pair of aqua-shoes, with soft grippy soles (we do have some pairs you can borrow – enquire about sizing).
• Also bring: rain jacket, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, good walking shoes and possibly a change of clothes.